We at Don’t Hide It Flaunt It are SO lucky to have Rebekah Marine (the beautiful Lucky Fin Project Ambassador and Bionic Model) and also Gianna Schiavone (the gorgeous Ambassador and model for Runway of Dreams, the non-profit Foundation that just announced its big partnership with Tommy Hilfiger!) both share their insights from walking together in New York Fashion Week this month, as well as a few other fun facts we think you’d all like to know! In a first for DHIFI, we have changed up the “Flaunt” essay format and have asked them both the same questions, and have now published each of their responses. Check out Rebekah’s fabulous Guest Flaunt below and then also Gianna’s Kids Flaunt!
2. Do you forget about your difference? I think my friends forget about my difference more than I do, honestly. They’ll sometimes reach out for my right hand, and then laugh when they remember that I don’t have one. They always tell me, “the way you carry yourself always makes us forget you’re missing a limb.” I, on the other hand, always think about it. I mean, it’s my career now, being the “Bionic Model” and all. The difference is, when I think about it, I don’t think about it in a negative way like I used to when I was growing up. It reminds me of how strong I’ve become.
3. What is your favorite thing to do? And what do you dread doing? My favorite thing to do is relax on the couch with Bruiser. I don’t get a lot of downtime these days, so it’s the little things that I really enjoy. I absolutely dread flying, especially longs flights!
4. How does it feel when you are in front of a crowd of people? It’s exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time. There’s a lot of pressure when all eyes are on you, but it’s worth it. I really enjoy being able to inspire others to live outside their comfort zones.
5. What is something you wish people knew about you that they might not expect? When I was in my early teenage years, I often wrote notes saying, “please let me wake up with two hands,” and slid it under my pillow at night. I’m glad that wish never came true, because I love who I am now.
6. What kind of fashion do you like to wear when no one is around? Yoga pants, yoga pants, yoga pants! Hahaha!
7. Were you nervous walking the runway this past year? If not, describe how you felt and what it was like to walk in NYFW: I was actually less nervous this time than I usually am when I walk the runway. I have to credit that to my runway partner, Gianna. I almost felt like I had to be more confident than ever to make sure she felt at ease. Although something tells me she wasn’t nervous at all! She owned that runway!
8. If you could meet one person you’ve never met, who would that be and why? Tough question because this person doesn’t have a name yet. It’s not a celebrity or anyone like that, but I hope to find the love of my life one day.
9. Did you get to keep any of your clothes you wore at NY Fashion Week? The first time I walked in New York Fashion Week, I got to keep the arm cover that Antonio Urzi designed. I will remember that night forever, so I’m glad I got to take something home with me.
10. If you had a crystal ball showing your future, what would you love to see in it? I’d love to see more runway gigs and campaigns under my belt. Above all, I really hope to keep pushing the boundaries and make my difference not so different in the fashion industry. Check out my new video!