A couple of years ago for our anniversary, John and I decided to spend the day in Manhattan together by ourselves. Since having our three children, as close as we live to NYC, it is rare such an outing actually occurs. We even had no blue-print for the day, a true anomaly in our over-planned lives.
As we strolled together after having lunch on the West-Side, we passed by someone in their twenties asking us if we wanted to see David Letterman’s live show. With nothing else to do except figure out what we wanted to do, we happily took the tickets and headed to the studios on Broadway near Times Square.
The day turned out to be more an activity in waiting on lines until the show began. Of course, as with any experience standing in line amid a crowd of strangers, I was not oblivious to a few stares in my direction. Also, to my disappointment, during the show the surprise “big star” for the day was Teri Hatcher (no offense to Ms. Hatcher, but I was hoping for a more memorable interview). Perhaps I was tired from standing for hours, but Letterman’s jokes overall seemed canned and stale. Notwithstanding this, we enjoyed the big moment of the show: Letterman’s “Top 10.”
In honor of our 12thanniversary which we recently celebrated, I have decided to write my own Top 10 list. Come to think of it, what if we all decided to celebrate what makes us special– our own unique “difference” with a personal Top 10? Might we all be one step closer to happiness? Perhaps, perhaps not……but for me, let’s face it. How I see myself and how the world sees me are often at odds. Rather than allow that fact to unravel me, my choice is to continue to have the ability to laugh at myself and ultimately approach life “glass half-full.”
Top Ten Reasons it is Awesome to have Two Fingers
10. People never forget meeting you, ever
9. Airport security will bring you to the front of the security line when you
deserved to miss your flight just like the rest of the schmucks
8. You will be offered ½ price discounted NJ transit fares without even asking
7. People will be unusually impressed with every normal thing you do (“Wow, you can play tennis? Ride a bike? Write? Drive? That is so great Meg!”)
6. There will be a significant savings in manicures
5. The shallow people and jerks will not want to know you
4. You can avoid the Draft
3. You will always be picked last for the heavy lifting
2. You will never be the one chosen in a line-up
And—the #1 reason it is awesome to have two fingers is…….
1. You can flip someone “the bird” without them knowing!